How to: IRS Change of Address

by | Feb 10, 2017 | IRS | 0 comments

One of the most important pieces of information that the IRS always needs on file is your address. Without a correct address, the IRS cannot send you correspondence, and if you move and do not let them know, any future IRS Notices (or refunds) could go to the wrong person (no bueno). Fortunately, the IRS offers taxpayers a few different options for notifying them of any change of address.


IRS Change of Address by Filing Your Tax Return

The simplest method is to use your new address when you file your next tax return. If the return is business return (i.e. Form 1120, 1120S, 1065, 990, etc.), make sure to also check the box to indicate change of address. This method works best if you move near the end of the year, or beginning of the next tax year.


IRS Change of Address by Filing Form 8822 or Form 8822-B

Moving dates do not always fall so nicely, and as the old saying goes, life happens. If you move mid-year (i.e. July) there are other options available to taxpayers without having to wait until they file their annual tax return. The most common alternative (and supplement) is to prepare and File Form 8822 (for individuals and estates) or Form 8822-B (for businesses), Change of Address. The Form 8822-B also allows you to update the Responsible Party for a business, and Form 8822 also allows you to update you or your spouses’ name if changed due to marriage, divorce, etc. (the Social Security Administration should also be notified separately of any name change to ensure that the name that they have matches what is filed on any future tax return).


IRS Change of Address – Other Options

The other only options to notify the IRS of an address change are to mail in a signed written statement, tell the IRS in person, or call the IRS. The written statement would need to include the taxpayer’s full name, old address, new address, and taxpayer identification number. The signed statement should be mailed to the address where you filed your last tax return. It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks for the IRS to update the new address when mailing a written statement or filing Form 8822 (Form 8822-B for businesses).

If the phone approach is taken, the taxpayer will need to provide information to verify their identity such as date of birth and identification number. The phone number for individuals is 800-829-1040, and for businesses is 800-829-4933.


If you have additional questions regarding notifying the IRS about address changes, please contact us at [email protected] so that we can assist you.